Sunday, June 26, 2016

Celebrating Change

This was the scene at the Owens house last evening after we had finished the Birthday Dinner and before dessert. My birthday celebration continued today as Elaine announced it among the "joys and concerns" at Church this morning. Recognition began on June 8th when we participated in the "June, Anniversary-Birthday Dinner" at the Senior Center. I announced it last Monday at Kiwanis where I was recognized and we have some Angel Food cake left over to have after Jon, Mary and Anna get here this week. It's been a good birthday and has helped me accept that I am an "old man".
"Change" was the emphasis of Pastor Dale's "farewell sermon" at Church this morning. He is retiring after having served the Seward Methodist Church for the past 3 years. We have certainly appreciated the leadership he provided during his time here and are pleased to know that he and Nancy are planning to continue living in Seward.  I suppose, "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" is an appropriate hymn for a retirement or birthday since in acknowledges the ultimate change we all face. As we sang it this morning, it brought back the memory of a one-act, High School play where I was in "black face" and sang it while sitting in a rocking chair, on the stage with all the lights turned out. My younger sister, Janice was only about 5 years old at the time but after I got through the second verse, she hollered out in that dark assembly room crowd, "That's Buddy singing".  And with that, they turned on the lights and I needed no further introduction.


No comments:

Post a Comment