Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Passage of Time

Former Poet Laureate, Ted Kooser's weekly poem this past Sunday described how much faster time goes by as we get older. This picture of me was taken on my 5th birthday when we lived here in Seward. It is apparent that I was very much a "town kid". We moved to the farm a year and a half later and the adjustment process began. The drought and depression during the next few years seemed to last forever. I herded cows, learned how to milk them and worked with horses doing field work. We had 4 different teachers as I went through District 13 Country School. My sister Vivian and I took Guitar lessons for a year and we eventually traded the old Model A Ford for a '37 Chevy. Vivian was able to get a permit to drive and we car pooled to high school in Garland with the Plautz boys and Freddie Hromas. These were my "growing up" years when time moved slowly. 
By the time I was 15, I was 6'2" tall, weighted 175 lbs. and was on the Garland HS varsity basketball team. By contrast, I looked at things that happened back in 2002, 10 years ago, and many of them seem like yesterday. We broke ground for the City Library, designed the Swimming Pool, Elaine & I drove our new car to Florida to see baseball games, Eddy Soucek died, we went to an SWCS meeting in Indianapolis and on to a baseball trip with Tim & Tony, bought my first Digital camera, Carolyn and Ben got married, etc. These past 10 years seem to have gone by in about 1/10 of the time of those earlier described. It's also been said that time is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end, the faster it seems to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment