Monday, December 28, 2015

Signing Songs of Praise

Today I had a wonderful opportunity to spend some “quality” time with my father, participating in Kiwanis,  an organization that serves my hometown so well and holds great memories for me.

At today’s midday meal and meeting, I had the chance to reconnect with a number of my friends, particularly those that I used to sing along side, in the Kitones, the Seward Kiwanis’ vocal group.

And to top off that experience was a wonderful young lady, a student at University of Nebraska of Omaha, that has a very unique and special gift. It is the gift of “signing.” This young lady, using American Sign Language (ASL), shared a number of very powerful contemporary Christian songs, such as “I Can Only Imagine” by Mercy Me. Watching her convey the words using her two hands seemed somehow to bring a greater and deeper appreciation for the words of each song.

The young lady spoke of the many uses she makes of this ministry of signing to enhance the lives of those, young and old, who are hearing-impaired to the love of the music as well as a means of raising awareness of a program to assist in the purchase of hearing aid devices for those that might not be able to afford them. One look at the young lady in the picture, and the proud words of her mother, who assisted her in the program, and you can tell it is truly a ministry of love.

And today,  she shared some of that love with the Seward Kiwanis.

Jon Vrana

No comments:

Post a Comment