Friday, December 11, 2015

He’s My Brother


We had lunch in Lincoln this noon with brother Don and Gladys. Don will be having a birthday anniversary to celebrate during the next week and it gave me an opportunity to tell him a story about a recent “thought”. Our Preacher asked during the Children’s sermon last week what each of them wanted for a gift. Then he asked what value that item may have 20 years from now. He went on to tell the story of the Christ Child as a continuing, non diminishing gift from God. As he told the story, my mind “wondered” to the first Christmas for which I have a memory. I was 4 years old and the arrival of a little brother a few days before Christmas was my greatest present. 

He was an exceptionally likable little guy and continued to develop that trait as he grew to adulthood. It was generally recognized that Don probably inherited some of Grandpa Walker’s personality genes. Grandpa’s birthday was on Christmas Day and when he and Grandma came to see little “Donnie” for the first time, I told them that we had a “real baby” at our house. While our Preacher asked about what a present would be worth after 20 years, I can assure him that my gift as a little brother has continued as an exceptional gift for over 85 years. I would be remiss if I didn’t acknowledge his wife and family as also being outstanding. 


1 comment:

  1. That's so sweet Uncle Bud! I have to agree with you about my Dad, he is real Gem and we are so lucky to have had him for 86 years now! Hope you all had a Merry Christmas. Love you. Becky and family

    ReplyDelete