Sunday, December 20, 2015

Poinsettias, Hymns and the Sound of Music

Our Church Alter this morning was adorned with 37 Poinsettia plants that were provided in memory of departed family and friends. The Poinsettias and the organ music with Virginia’s artistic touch, set the stage for a special musical service. It included special renditions by the Bell Choir, the God’s Squad, a trombone solo by Abby, the Praise Team, Cross Fire, and the Chancel Choir singing “O Come Little Children” which was just great. Among the congregational hymns was the Advent Song sung to Away in a Manger. That always brings a tear to my eye since sister Vivian and I sang that at a Christmas program in the old Church building when I was 5 years old. We also enjoyed the opportunity to visit with old friends during Social Hour after the service. There were several indications of appreciation for Virginia on the organ. I went so far as to say that in my opinion, playing some of our sacred hymns for congregational singing in Church on a piano was like playing the National Anthem for the opening of a patriotic event on a Ukulele. I’m writing this while watching “The Sound of Music” in its original form with Julie Andrews. I have no idea how many times we have seen it but many of the scenes become more emotional with each viewing. It is truly a “Classic"

No comments:

Post a Comment