Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Sustainable Use of Natural Resources

After writing in my blog yesterday about the Soil and Water Conservation Society, I decided that our files include material  there is little reason to keep. I spent about 4 hours today going through those files. It was most enjoyable. We did dispose of a significant amount but kept some selected items. How could I dispose of a hand written note from former Nebraska Governor Bob Crosby who sent this to me back in 1991 when I announced my retirement from SWCS. I saw literally hundreds of names and refreshed many memories of people that I had interacted with during my "working years". There was a lot of "overlap" with the employees of the Soil Conservation Service (SCS/NRCS), the members of the Soil and Water Conservation Society (SWCS) and even the Nebraska Natural Resources Commission (NRC). My review of the files was a reminder that many of the people I worked with, are no longer with us, but what a tremendous contribution they made to the conservation and sustainable use of our natural resources. The SCS was established in 1935 and the SWCS in 1945. I had the privilege of working with some of the very first people involved with these organizations. Just as my generation stood on the shoulders of those that had gone on before, the very capable cadre of those involved today, have a very firm foundation on which to continue the pursuit of Sustainable Use of Our Natural Resources. 

No comments:

Post a Comment