Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Communication

This is a picture Prince & Pat and me when I was about 10 years old. I used the picture on my April 6, 2011 blog entitled "Honyaks". I told of how my golfing buddy had used the term that morning in suggesting that if we hurried to tee off, we could get out ahead of the Honyaks that were getting ready. It was the first time in years that I had heard the term, but it bought back memories of my Dad using it frequently. I even suggested that Dad may have thought that I looked like a honyak, afraid that the horses were going to step on my bare toes. A comment on the blog at the time suggested the following definition:  An immigrant to the United States from east-central Europe; A rube or simpleton. 
The word came up this morning at coffee in discussing other terms that our Dad's and Grandfather's used that we don't hear anymore. As a society, we continue to evolve in our sensitivity to discriminatory language; which is good. Interestingly, I have posted some 1,350 pages since late 2010 and my April 6, 2011 on Honyaks has had 537 hits which leads all others. Prince William comes in second and "A unique tree" is 3rd. Social Media provides a whole new way of "learning" but I hope we don't lose the benefits of face-to-face communication.  

No comments:

Post a Comment