Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Volunteers at the Senior Center

The Seward Senior Center will recognize some 60 volunteers at a Dinner tomorrow for their efforts in making the Center the "Hub" of activities for many people in the community. Our City Mayor, Josh Eickmeier also serves as legal counsel to the General Affairs committee of the State Legislature. He could not get away on the final day of the session, so asked me to represent him in addressing the group. I put together some information this afternoon which I plan to use. It further helps me appreciate what volunteers do at the center. They have activities 5 days a week, run a Senior (Taxi) Shuttle, have a monthly Potato Bake which attracts some 200 people, and a wealth of activities throughout the day.  This is all done under the leadership of one paid "Manager" and an 8 member volunteer Board of Directors.  As a member of the City Council, I serve as a non-voting member of the Board. Among the interesting statistics that I came across is that 504,814 Nebraska residents volunteered 57.5 million hours of service through or for a nonprofit or community organization in 2010. 

No comments:

Post a Comment