Thursday, January 10, 2019

Kolterman's Store

We were pleased today to see work being done on these old buildings in downtown Seward. They have been vacant since Dollar General moved to the south edge of town along the Highway. For many years the Kolterman's had the Ben Franklin store at this location. For many years the building to the left was the Rupp Hardware and Kolterman's had the east part of this complex. The Kolterman family has been involved in the east part for many years. Back in the 30's it was known as the "Racket Store". My sister and I walked past it on our way to school when I was in 1st grade. After moving to the farm north of Garland and becoming teenagers, Fred Kolterman (the founder) paid my sister and I, one dollar for delivering sale bills to each of the houses in Bee and Garland. We shared those $2.00 and probably spent most of it back in the store. Our Dad sold wood to Mr. Kolterman to heat the store. On at least one occasion, I remember of him tieing one team behind the lead farm wagon and taking two loads on one trip. As I recall, he got either four or five dollars per load, depending on it being the regular wagon box or it being a "triple" box. Delivering the wood was just the final step in the process that involved cutting down the trees, trimming the branches off,  sawing up the limbs and splitting the blocks. This experience had some influence on my taking  a Civil Service job when provided the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment