Saturday, January 5, 2019

Cherry Kolache

Rosellen treated us to some Czech Kolaches this afternoon that she had just baked. We even had a choice of Cherry or Peach. Elaine and I both had the Cherry. We sat at a table with 3 ladies from the assisted living side along with another fellow from our independent side. It is nice that we are able to inter-mingle for these special events. One of the ladies who was new to us was interested in the location of the Lehigh Elevator and Mill  after I mentioned it. As a girl, she remembered her Dad taking wheat to "Lehigh" and bringing home flour. She had always wondered where it was located. The other ladies quickly told of their having dresses and other items of clothing, made from the 50 lb. bags that the flour came in. Elaine and I were both well aware of the elevator and mill from our childhood days. It was located between Seward and Garland next to the Burlington RR track. There was also a Country School near by known by the same name. My mother had gone to school there as had some of Elaine's aunts. I'm not sure if it was always spelled as I have and would appreciate any suggestions

1 comment:

  1. As I remember it was spelled Leahey. The kolaches sure sound good! We're getting a nice rain this weekend and two ft of snow predicted for the mountains.

    ReplyDelete