Thursday, October 13, 2016

Tiger Woods

While sorting collections of old magazines last week, I came across this November 1996 Golf Digest that featured Tiger Woods. While I subscribed to the Digest for a number of years, this is the only issue I still have. It's ironic that it was just 20 years ago that it was being asked, "Is this Kid Superman". Earlier this week, in withdrawing from the Safeway Open, he said, "After a lot of soul searching and honest reflection, I know that I am not yet ready to play on the PGA Tour," he said. "My health is good, and I feel strong, but my game is vulnerable and not where it needs to be." Tiger is 40 years old with a generation of young golfers filling the void, but none with the excitement that many of us had watching him during his "glory years". He is younger than Phil Mickelson and other notables on the tour but questions are being raised as to, if and when he will be ready. The next likely opportunity will come in December. I hope he can come back and play competitively. He doesn't have to win any more majors, but just seeing him play a good game would be inspiring. Meanwhile, I will hold on to the Magazine and may even have the opportunity to use it some day as an example of how personal decisions can trump ability and keep potential  and reputation from being realized and in tact.

No comments:

Post a Comment