Friday, August 15, 2014

Washington, D.C.

I did a bit of writing today on My Career with the Soil Conservation Service. Chapter I was the 10 years here is the local Seward County Office. The 4 years we were in Lincoln were earlier described in Chapter II. Now, I am working on Chapter III which will cover the 18 years in Washington, D.C. Our move to DC was a real "leap of faith" with the kids the stage they were at and the increase in salary only marginal. We were betting on the future and fortunately, it is still paying off in retirement annuity. While we spent 18 years in Washington, we only expected to be there for 3 or 4 and then back out to a State Office. Consequently, we took advantage of the opportunity to visit many historic sites and participated in as many educational activities as soon as possible. It was not only for the kids but also for Elaine and I. Elaine is shown here with the kids at the tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery. The Washington Monument is in the background to the left of the picture, the Capitol, in the center and Jefferson Memorial on the right. Our  being back there not only gave me an opportunity for career advancement that I never anticipated but also gave the whole family including our parents, siblings and friends a chance to visit the Nations Capitol. 


No comments:

Post a Comment