Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Buddy's at Bellvue

This is a continuation of my "story" a couple days ago about the NYA school at Bellevue and my message to the  Lincoln Journal Star Historian who had done a story on the facility as "Bellevue College". Jim was appreciative of the information and wished he had received it before doing the story. I have since read through my Diary during the time I spent there back in early 1943 and also found this picture. These are some of my "buddy's" with Mr. Whitwer, School Superintendent in the back. One of the fellows had completed the course and was leaving with a job in a Defense plant. Oren Fix is to the right. I saw in LJS that he and his wife celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary in 1996. I sent them a picture and card but never heard back. The next guy with the "B" letter sweater was Joe Norby. He was my best buddy from Bancroft, NE. We would go in to Omaha roller skating at the Crosstown Rink on 24th street and to the Orphiem theater where we heard such stars as "The Andrews Sisters", "Ink Spots", Sammy Kaye", etc. In the mid-nineties a Presbyterian Minister came to Seward from Bancroft who knew Joe and his family. Unfortunately, Joe has passed on shortly prior to the time and so I didn't follow up with any of them. The 10 weeks that I spent there was really a great experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment