Thursday, December 27, 2018

Whitman's Sampler

A box of Whitman's Sampler has been part of our Christmas for many years. It was the item I gave to Elaine along with whatever the major gift may have been. I gave her an engagement ring for Christmas in 1948 but must have also given her a "box of candy" when we went to Tamora for a Flowerday get-togather on Christmas Day. If not then, it may have been held off till the next day when I took her to a Family Dinner at my Grandpa Walker's. As time went on and the Kids came along, the tradition was continued. We had some question about this year since I didn't find one while shopping Monday while she was at the Beauty Shop. Then, "Lo and Behold" when Ben came up to take us out to the Owens for Christmas Dinner, he brought us this box. We are enjoying it as we eat one choice piece at a time. We have even shared it with a special guest. When it is gone, I'm sure Elaine will find a use for the box. For years she kept my old "Love Letters" in an early one I'd given her. It is ironic that we have watched an NET program on the Nebraska Blizzard during the winter of 1948-'49. That was also my first year with USDA, Soil Conservation Service.

No comments:

Post a Comment