Saturday, December 24, 2016

The Night Before Christmas

"T'was the night before Christmas and" we have been out to Owens' for a soup supper and then  to our Church service. They had gone to an earlier service. Sadie was all excited about Santa Claus coming, but Jack was more interested in eating. He is pretty adept at feeding himself and has just learned to say "please" and "thank you". My sister commented after Jack got his hair cut, how much he looks like pictures of me when I was his age. I never thought of myself as being as nice looking as he is.  While I am only 1 of 14 of his immediate ancestors, what an honor to think he must be carrying some of my genes. What more could a Great Grandfather even think about at Christmas time beyond the birth of Christ.
Our Church service was very inspirational. We sang many of the old Christmas songs, and Rev. Henre had an outstanding Children's segment by having them help with the lighting of the "Christ" candle. He also told of how the early Church leaders selected December 25th as the date of Jesus birth. Since no one knew for sure, it was known that it was near the time of the winter solstice when the days began to lengthen. This is symbolic of Christ bringing light to the world. Our service concluded with a candle-light singing of Silent Night. We drove home through light fog and enjoyed the outdoor lighting along the way. Elaine fixed Hot Chocolate which we enjoyed while listening to a Choir singing "It is Well with My Soul". Santa couldn't bring anything more.

No comments:

Post a Comment