Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Bit of Cheer on a Gloomy Day

This is how our backyard appeared this afternoon.  It could be said that it was a “gloomy day”. I woke up with a hoarse voice this morning so didn’t sing with the Kitones at the Middle School Veterans program. I spent a lot of time on the PC finishing the narrative of 1989. It is a 15 page single spaced summary of our activities during the year. It was a very significant year in our lives. We sold the farm, had a farm Auction, went on a 6 week trip to Alaska, accepted the position of Executive VP of the Int. Soil and Water Conservation Society in Ankeny, IA and my Dad’s death at years end. I had written a page in my Journal on every day of the year. It was by going through those pages, reviewing the pictures taken during the year, and utilizing a bit of memory that the narrative was written. Needless to say, the year had its highs and its lows. In retrospect, I wish I would have started playing golf sooner and done that rather than accepting the Iowa position that took us out of town during both Mother and Dad’s last year with us. Writing about all of this today only added to the “gloomyness”. The highlight of the day was a telephone call from brother Don who always brings good cheer and arrangements for getting together in Lincoln for lunch next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment