Friday, August 14, 2015

Common Pokeweed

I was faced with a well preserved plant clipping when I got to coffee this morning. Stan brought it in yesterday when I wasn’t there and it was kept in a plastic container to “stump me” when I was unable to identify it. After going through the Nebraska Weed book, published by the State of Nebraska, Department of Agriculture, Weed Division in 1979, I believe it to be Common Pokeweed (Phytolacca americana L). The book indicates that "it is not a common weed in Nebraska. It is most often found in old gardens or in moist, rich, bottom soils in southeast Nebraska”. Information on the internet indicates that it is more common in the south and is sometimes eaten if prepared properly. Son Jon who lives in Virginia confirmed this afternoon that he had eaten “Poke Salad”. I would be interested in comments from anyone who is familiar with the plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment