Friday, November 18, 2011

Apples and Dollars

Who doesn't enjoy a bright red, crispy apple. We had a Winesap tree on the farm where I grew up which provided us with fresh apples in the fall, Mother would bake them, fry them, make applesauce, and most special, make apple pies. Many of the apples were picked up off the ground and used for cooking. Those that we ate were picked off the tree. I don't remember my folks buying very many apples when I was a kid. Our Santa Claus sack from Church and the Seward Chamber of Commerce always had an apple, orange and a few pieces of candy. But those were tough times and we raised on the farm the majority of what we ate. For the past many years, I have attempted to eat some applesauce or have an apple before bedtime while recalling the old adage, "An apple a day keeps the Doctor away". Evidently, this was not a high production apple year. The prices in the stores have continued to be high as the new crop came on the market. Our favorite apple these days is Braeburns but we often buy whatever is on sale. We were in our local grocery store last night and I noticed a container of Honeycrisp apples. They looked similar to the ones pictured and their price was $3.89/lb. The store wasn't very busy so I took one of the larger ones from the bin up to the cashier as Elaine was preparing to check out. The cost of the one apple was $2.46. Needless to say, I took it back and got Yellow Delicious that were on sale for $0.99/lb. I believe the "burden" that I carry for having grown up during the drought and depression would keep me from paying $2.46 for one apple even if we won the lottery. (And that won't happen because we never buy a ticket)

No comments:

Post a Comment