Thursday, January 19, 2017

Presidential Inaugural Parades

The old Post Office building in Washington, D.C. that is being remodeled into a luxury hotel by the Trump organization, has interesting memories for me. It is located on Pennsylvania avenue at 12th street which is on the route of the Inaugural Parade from the Capitol to the White House. The steps of the building were our favorite spot for watching the parades. We would drive down to the USDA parking lot and take the short walk across the mall to the building. Our oldest son, Verlon, and I watched the 1965 parade from these steps when Lyndon B. Johnson was inaugurated as President. Tim and I went down in 1969 to see Richard Nixon and appreciated the protection from the cold wind by being up high on the entryway steps under the arch. By '73 I went down alone for Nixon's 2nd parade by myself. I was in Williamsburg, VA, at
a Brookings Institute, 2-week session on government at the time of Lyndon Johnson's inauguration in 1977. It was very timely and enlightening since the speakers included several Nixon and Ford, White House insiders. By the time of Ronald Reagan's inaugural we were back in Nebraska. This lower picture is a closeup view of the steps in the recent Trump remodeling.  We were back visiting family during the Bill Clinton Presidentcy and were able to tour the inside of the building that had been remodeled to allow commercial businesses. I had a picture taken shaking hands with a cardboard likeness of the President. It looked very real and was tacked up in my den room. I would like to have used it on this blog but believe it must have fallen off the wall about the time Bill had his downfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment