Saturday, March 1, 2014

Oral History of Nebraska NRDs

This is a map of the Nebraska Natural Resource Districts. They are successors to Soil Conservation Districts as well as other natural resource related districts. They have been in existence since 1972 and are loosely based on hydrologic boundaries. The NRDs have taxing authority and have been assigned many additional responsibilities since their formation. An effort is 
underway to prepare an Oral History of their formation. I was interviewed last summer for the project and the conversation recorded. A copy of that interview was in our mornings mail and reading it was a most humbling experience. I have read some of my verbatim transcripts before but don't recall as much "rambling", "incomplete sentences", "misuse of words", "straying from the subject" and just plain "errors" as I made in this one. I know that an Oral History is supposed to reflect how a person may express themselves; but, I wouldn't want a historic document to demonstrate the way I talked, even if I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment