Friday, February 28, 2014

Retired Soil Conservationists

We received our email version of the Association of Retired Soil Conservation Employees newsletter this morning. It is published 6 times/year and I went through all 28 pages which contained information on retirees from most of the states. The picture of the North Carolina group includes several people with whom I worked and consider good friends. Having spent much of my career in Personnel work, I had an opportunity to know many people. During my early retirement years with the Nebraska Natural Resources Commission I maintained a close relationship with the Agency and participated in National meetings of the Soil and Water Conservation Society as well as the National Association of Conservation Districts. While Executive VP for the SWCS I had a close daily relationship with people in the Agency and was always invited to attend their annual meetings. I have been a member of the Retirees Association since I retired from the SCS and served as their President some years ago. So the newsletter is of particular interest to me. As I looked at the above picture, stories came to mind of relationships with Rex Tracy, Cecil Settle, Harold Lile, John Garrett, Coy Garrett, Horace Smith, Jim Canterberry and Dr. Cook. I may have know some of the others but don't remember. While the newsletter often brings word of some friend passing on, it also refreshes many happy memories. Our Lincoln retirees get together monthly and have special Dinner Meetings each spring and fall which we attend. There is something about people who have had a career conserving our Nation's Soil and Water Natural Resources that unites us in a Common Bond. 

No comments:

Post a Comment