Saturday, February 1, 2014

Time Marches On

When you are a 16 year old HS Graduating Senior you think of yourself as being much older and more mature than you really are. Likewise, as the years count up, there is a tendency to think of yourself as being younger than you are. We attended the funeral of a good friend this morning who drank coffee with our group for a number of years. He was a dedicated public servant, family man, and well respected in the community. His daughter read letters that 3 Granddaughters had written years ago about visiting their Granddad which was one of the nicest tributes or eulogies I have heard. It was a very impressive service. 
I spent much of the afternoon organizing my DVDs. I transferred my "2013 pictures & activities" on to a DVD as well as consolidating some of the information on others. It was through that process that I came across this "youthful" picture.
Our evening was occupied by watching the Duke-Syracuse basketball game at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY. Solaimon made a 3-point shot to tie the game as time ran out. Duke was handicapped with foul problems and played the OT with 2 key players on the bench and yet came so close. Syracuse won 91-89. The 35,200 in the Carrier Dome saw a great game. I went down and checked some history to find it was on November 11, 1989 that Jon and I saw part of a HS football game in the Carrier Dome. Jon was stationed in Syracuse at the time and was taking some graduate classes so he and I visited the campus and went into the Dome for a short while. I can check in my records to find "when I did things" but I can't turn back the clock to look 16 again (or even 70).

No comments:

Post a Comment