Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Beatles


  1. It will be 50 years ago this Sunday that the Beatles appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show on TV and we have never been the same. It wasn't only the "loud"  music but the long hair that took some of us parents a bit of time to accept. Our 4 kids were at a very impressible stage, and  Carolyn was "swept up" in the craze. They performed in Washington, D.C. two days after the Sullivan Show but it was a snowy work day and I just acknowledged their being in D.C. in my Diary. On October 3, 1964, I took a station wagon load of girls including Carolyn to Lynchburg, VA, for a Church Mission trip. The kids along with another carload from our Church met the group at the Presbyterian Church in Lynchburg and all of them visited an Orphanage. The Kids went to a movie that evening and slept with local families. I was taking classes at GWU and studied in the Church all afternoon. We all went to Sunday School and Church the next day and had a very formal communion service. We had box lunches and left for Arlington about 2:30. My carload was all girls, and they sang Beatles songs all the way home with a lot of "I love you Paul, John,...". It was an eventful trip and my real introduction to the impact of these kids from Liverpool, England. We got home about 7:00pm and I dictated papers to Elaine, and she typed on them 'til midnight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment