Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Judas Goats

Tom joined our Koffee Klatch a few weeks back and has "broadened" our range of discussion topics.  He has some background of South Omaha and I've told him of my buddy Vern and I spending a couple months down there one winter when we were young guys by working at the Swift & Co. packing house. This morning we talked about the Judas Goat of which we were both familiar. Trying to herd sheep is like herding cats, but they will follow a Goat anywhere. I have a distinct memory of seeing s sight similar to the picture. The Swift plant had a Goat that would lead sheep to the slaughter house. While Vern and I worked in the Freezer Department, as farm boys we often took time during our lunch break to "tour" the whole plant. By walking like we knew where we were going, we "visited" every department. While discussing Judas Goats this morning, I told the group of my having been "raised" on Goats' milk. I was unable to digest Mother's or cow's milk as a baby. The Dr. recommended Goats' milk so Dad spent $60.00 buying a Nanny that had recently had Kids. It worked out well and I weighed 25 pounds by the time I was 6 months old. We appreciate having Tom in our group for the new "stories" or "perspective" that he brings but his being there gives us an excuse for telling stories the others may have already herd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment