Monday, February 3, 2014

China and the Great Wall

Eddy took this picture of Vivian, Elaine and I on the Great Wall of China in November 1992. It was a great Moostash Joe tour. We flew to Chicago and then over "the top" to Tokyo. After spending the night in Japan we flew on to Beijing, China. We stayed in 4-star American Hotels during the nearly 2 weeks that we were in China and always had an American Buffet Breakfast. Highlights of the trip included Tienanmen Square, the Forbidden City, the Great Wall, Beijing Zoo (Panda Bears), the Summer Palace, and then flew to Xian where we visited the Bell Tower on the City Wall and the Terra Cotta Warriors. Then flew to Shanghai where significant new construction, including a subway system was underway. We had a boat trip on the Grand Canal where traffic was very heavy and a train trip back to Shanghai. We also visited farms, schools, and a Jade Buda Temple. An amusing event occurred one evening when Elaine and I walked across the street from the Hotel to a store where I asked about a pair of Nike shoes. The "clerk" measured my size 13 foot and then left. I assumed he was getting a pair my size but instead came back with several other "clerks" to show them my Big Feet. They didn't carry any that large. It was a "once in a lifetime" trip, and I'm pleased that we were able to see as much of China as we did, when we did. Friends who have spent time in China every few years say that we would hardly recognize the Country today compared to when we were there.

No comments:

Post a Comment