Sunday, February 5, 2012

Superbowl memories

I remember the "first" Superbowl game very well. Joe Namath quarterbacked the AFL, NY Jets to a 16-7 victory over the NFL Baltimore Colts who were 19 point favorites going into the game. Though there had been Championship games between the two leagues in '67 & '68, it wasn't until '69 that it was referred to as a "Superbowl" game. Namath was named the MVP of the upstart AFL Champions. (Those first 2 games have retroactively been considered Superbowl games.) One reason I may remember the game is because brother Jerry and his family had been at our house visiting where he did some carpentry and drywall work in our basement. It included finishing a "family room" with a built in place for a Television. My Diary entry for that date (January 12, 1969" included: "Tim went to several churches with his group. We didn't go and I read office material. NY Jets beat the Colts 16-7. Joe Namath did a good job. I wrote Verlon (down at VCU in Richmond) a letter. Carolyn got her blue suit finished." Elaine and I had been to the National Theater the night before and saw Woody Allen in "Play it again Sam". Those were the days. I was still working on my MBA and had been been designated "Acting" Director of the Personnel Division for the first time a few days earlier. 

1 comment: