Thursday, February 16, 2012

Final Filing Date

Yesterday was February 15th and to many of us holding an elected office, the last day to file for re-election. My term of office on the Seward City Council will expire this coming December. When I filed 4 years ago for my 3rd term, I was sure that it would be my last time to do so and yet it wasn't certain. There is a finality about passing up your last opportunity to do something. It's just as well that we don't know it at the time. I didn't know, for instance, that I was playing my last game of baseball or basketball at the time and even then went on latter to play "family picnic" softball and "Grandkids" basketball. But as you get older and you recognize the proportions of sand in the hour glass, it takes on a different meaning. I remember  Elaine's Mother saying "This will be the last time" when they came back east to visit us. Fortunately, they got back 2 or 3 times after her first pronouncement. Now I know where she was coming from. I will not run for elected office again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment