Thursday, February 9, 2012

Priceless Experience

I was still wearing my Washington Redskin Stocking cap in 1985 when Julie and I cut our Christmas tree. It was a tree that we had planted the first spring we were at the farm. We bought this farm in the spring of 1980 and sold it in the spring of 1989. Those were the years that land values took a significant hit from their highs in 1980. We have had many "second thoughts" about our decision to have bought the farm and about the hours of hard physical work that went with it. Elaine and I had grown up on farms and it seemed like an ideal place to retire after having spent 18 years in the Washington, D.C. area. What we didn't quite reckon with was the time, money, and energy it took to get the old buildings and farm in the condition we desired. I still had a demanding job with the State of Nebraska which limited my time & energy. What made it all worthwhile is what is shown in this picture. It gave Julie an opportunity to enjoy many of the benefits of a "farm experience".  She could drive our Ford tractor when she was 8 years old. We visited with her and her mother this afternoon as she was working with some quilting material. Many things go in to making people what they are, and I'm satisfied that her farm experience and time spent with Grandma and Grandad were significant. I know what the experience pictured was worth to me--PRICELESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment