Monday, August 29, 2011

Old Crow Zone

After leaving Garland Saturday, we decided it would be a good time to drive down to the neighborhood where Grandpa & Grandma Walker lived when I was a boy. Their farm was just a half-mile south of Highway 34 and the Garland corner. The next place on south was where Uncle Clarence's lived at the time Aunt Edith died and beyond that was a place where Uncle Clyde and Aunt Hilda lived for a short time after getting married. At one time the road went south for a couple miles and then turned west to connect with other roads. However,  now it dead-ends and the mile road to the west is closed after never being more than just a trail. As a 10-12 year old I stayed with the Grandparents and helped with wheat harvest and the chores. Some of my earliest memories are of going to their place for Holiday dinners. We were included in Birthday Parties and got to know the Middle Creek area neighbors who were also all included. While I have been down the old road to these places a few times over the years, I was impressed the other day with the steepness of the hills and the woody terrain in general. Tucked away in these hills and off  a narrow gravel road, I was surprised to find a number of houses. They varied from double wides to $300,000-500,000 appearing houses. It must take 4-wheel drive equipment to maneuver the roads in the winter time. I don't know the story on the place pictured but the similarity with the name of my Blog site caught my eye. This place was on the west side of the road south of where Uncle Clarence and Aunt Edith lived, and about 1 1/2 miles from the highway. A place like this may be ideal for someone seeking solitude but all I can say is, "Different strokes for different folks".

No comments:

Post a Comment