Thursday, August 11, 2011

Carolyn's Birthday

Today is our daughter's birthday and the picture was taken the day she became Ben's happy and beautiful bride. We have taken many, many picture of her over the years and this is one of my favorites. It was about this time of day that she was born in the Seward Hospital. My Diary entry for the day was: "I took Elaine down to the hospital about 6:00am. They gave her caster oil and several other things before Carolyn Elaine was born at 6:20pm. She weighed 7lbs. 10 oz. and was 17 1/2 inches long. I got announcements all ready to mail". I was not allowed to even see Elaine from the time I took her in until some time after the baby was born. Dr. Carr was the attending physician and came through the waiting room in his "scrubs" about 6:30 and without breaking his hurried stride, smiled at me and said, "You've got a little girl". It is one of those memories pictured in my memory bank that has not faded over time. Being our only daughter, we have always had a close relationship, but the older we get, the more we appreciate she and Ben being close here in Seward. We are in contact nearly every day and her frequent visits to our house are always one of the days highlight. In a recent Blog, I commented that: "Every little girl should have a Dad they could respect as much as Elaine did hers".  I can also add: "Every old man (& woman) should have a daughter living nearby that they respect, love and appreciate as much as we do Carolyn".  

No comments:

Post a Comment