Sunday, July 9, 2017

Sen. Ben Sasse's new Book

Here is the brief biographical information on Senator Sasse as listed in the Congressional Directory:    "SASSE, Benjamin Eric, a Senator from Nebraska; born in Plainview, Pierce County, Nebr., February 22, 1972; B.A., Harvard University, 1994; M.A., St. John’s College, Annapolis, Md., 1998; Ph.D., Yale University, 2004; management consultant; university professor; chief of staff to U.S. Representative Jeff Fortenberry; counselor to the secretary, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; assistant secretary for planning and evaluation, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; president of Midland University, Fremont, Nebr.; elected as a Republican to the United States Senate in 2014 for the term ending January 3, 2021."
Here are some notes from my August 1, 2016 blog page when the senator spoke at a public meeting here in Seward: "This was my first opportunity to see him, and I  was very favorably impressed. He received some publicity during the past few months for his reluctance to support any of the Republican Candidates for President. One of the attendees at this mornings meeting challenged him on his position of not supporting the Party's Nominee, and he made it clear that he was more concerned with working on the Country's problems than supporting any candidate."
 Not only am I continually impressed with Senator Sasse, but also is our oldest son Verlon; he reads a lot and suggested we get his recent book on, "The Vanishing American Adult".  We did buy it from "Chapter's" here in Seward a few days before the 4th and their hasn't been a day when I haven't read from it. I'm about half way through and have enjoyed every page. My assessment at this point is that he's "right on target". After reading the Introduction, I flipped to the back of the book to check the Bibliography, Index, Acknowledgments, and found: Notes on sources and Methods, but also a 10 page "Afterword". The Afterward is a 10 page speech of what Sasse's hero, President Theodore  Roosevelt would say today if he spoke to a High School Graduating Class. I read it before even getting started in the book and realized it was a cleaver way of Sasse summarizing his own thoughts and giving credit to Roosevelt.

1 comment:

  1. I always enjoy reading your blog and I think you and I agree on most things, but I couldn't disagree with you more about Ben Sasse. He is by far the worst Senator Nebraska has had in at least the last 40 years. His resume' may look fantastic but there is so much more below the surface.Too bad he can't spend time working for his constituents instead of his almost full time self-promotion. I look forward in getting together with you to exchange views. Mick Vercellino

    ReplyDelete