Friday, March 24, 2017

Importance of Kiwanis

The Kiwanis Club of Seward celebrated its 50th year of service to the community and Children of the world a year ago. One of our most visible projects is the Flag Display along highway 34 at the east entrance to the City. I had occasion today to go through my Kiwanis files and found that my Certificate of Membership is dated May 16, 1986.  And, it was with the Lincoln Center Club in Lincoln, NE. I was with the Nebraska Natural Resources Commission but worked closely with Soil Conservation Service personnel. Val who was the SCS Lancaster County District Conservationist was my sponsor. We met every Friday for lunch and I really appreciated the fellowship and opportunity to become friends with many of Lincoln's movers and shakers. I continued active membership until moving to Ankeny, IA with the Int. Soil and Water Conservation Society. When we came back to Nebraska to retire in 1952, I quickly joined the Seward Club. We have been a very active Club with sponsoring a Club in Milford and a second Club in Seward. We have also been very active in International Programs such as Iodine Deficiency and Eliminate programs as well as our Community, Agricultural, and Youth programs locally. I have received several awards during these past 25 years with being named a Nebraska-Iowa District, Distinguished President for the 1996-'97 Club Year, being the most cherished. While I no longer provide a leadership role in the Club, I never miss a weekly luncheon meeting and often provide some photography service. The fellowship with old and new friends becomes more important as we grow older.

No comments:

Post a Comment