Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Family pictures

As I continue to work on my life story and pictures, I realized a "gap" in the picture collages put together over the past many years. I found several in my old album that will help to fill the gap. This one not only catches Janice and Jerry at a very cute stage but also shows our old 1937 Chevy.  While the license plate is partially covered, most of the family will remember it as 16-2602. I have no idea of the number of years the folks had that number. It also shows the gas rationing stickers in the right windshield. By living on a farm, we not only got an "A" sticker but also a "B" which I believe gave us an extra 4 gallons per week. I worked on highway construction during the summer between my Junior and Senior years of High School as well as construction of the Lincoln Army Airfield after graduation. I had saved enough to consider going to University but Dad had become interested in Purebred Polled Herford Cattle. He suggested my buying a Registered bred Heifer with my savings rather than going on to school. Dad bought  3 or 4 which was the foundation for his herd for the next 35 years. Don is shown with a Bull that Dad bought.
Dad always judged a bull by the extent his "hind quarters" were filled out. I expect this picture was taken to show that this one was well filled. Vivian went to summer school at Peru Teachers College the summer after HS and began teaching a country school that fall. She later went on to earn an MS degree in Education and had a very successful and long career as a teacher. These are some examples of our very good childhood.


No comments:

Post a Comment