Saturday, January 9, 2016

Good Visit with Family

We were up early and left Seward at 5:30am this morning to take Jon, Mary and Anna to the Lincoln airport. They flew United through Chicago and on to Dulles where  their car was waiting for them. Jon had mailed some of the books and other Soil Conservation material which I had passed on to him. He did a lot of work on H.H.Bennett and the early history of the Soil Conservation Service while he was here. We did a lot of talking and often his research would stimulate my memory of early day experiences. It’s comforting to know that many more of the “stories” from those times will be written up and passed on to younger generations. 
Mary maintained some contact during the week that she was here with the VA Hospital where she works but not to the extent of Jon to his office. Carolyn and Julie brought Sadie and Jack down last night and they played with blocks, etc. on the living room floor. The dynamics between sister and brother remind me of the relationship I had with my sister Vivian who was 18 months older than me. Everybody liked my brother Don who is 4 1/2 years younger than me. And, there was little if any “sibling rivalry” between Janice and Jerry; the twins who were 7 years younger than Don.  Sibling relationships are interesting but it seems there is a lot to be gained by not being on only child.

No comments:

Post a Comment