Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Proposed Wellness & Technology Center for Seward

I had my interview this afternoon with a representative of Lukas Partners of Omaha who have been hired by the City of Seward to determine the support for a Wellness & Technology Center. As proposed it would be a 57,000 sq.ft. facility built on the old Middle School property at a cost of some $22 million dollars. We went through an outline of questions which basically were structured to get my opinion of Community support and willingness to finance construction and operation. Reflecting on my experience on the Library Foundation 10 years ago when we raised some $3.25 mm  for our Library  construction, my years of experience on the City Council, and knowledge of the community in general, I questioned the ability to raise the money for construction and to find support for operating and maintenance expense. I acknowledge that it was just my perspective and would be most interested in their final report. I did suggest that if they didn't find support for this proposal, the City may wish to go back to the drawing board and see what might be possible by utilizing some of the existing facilities and reducing the cost considerably.

No comments:

Post a Comment