Sunday, July 28, 2013

Nebraska #34 Highway

State Highway #34 is being resurfaced this summer between Seward and the #79 junction near Woodlawn on the outskirts of Lincoln. The State has also let a contract for improvements on the Highway as it passes through Seward with construction underway. Nebraska #15 from Seward to I-80 has received a new coating this summer and resurfacing is underway on #15 from Seward north to the County line. We are pleased to see all the improvements in our streets and highways but have to plan on extra time to make the trip to Lincoln. My interest in #34 between Seward and Lincoln goes back a long way. My Dad worked for the State and maintained the graveled highway between Seward and the Lancaster Co line at the time I was born. I got my Social Security Card following my 16th birthday and  a job helping to do  the initial paving on the Highway between Seward and Lincoln. Over the years the Highway has been widened, and reconditioned many times. But the old concrete that we laid down back in the summer of 1941 still serves as the base for all the improvements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment