Thursday, July 4, 2013

Big Celebration in a Small Town

There is nothing quite like the 4th of July in Seward. The parade had just started when this picture was taken as the Color Guard was approaching. It was Sadie's first 4th of July parade and she seemed to enjoy it here with Dad, Mother, Grandma, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and Great Grandparents close by. Carolyn took me down to the Civic Center where our Kitone group sang at 12:00noon. I walked home stopping to enjoy the antique tractors, City Band Concert, Pole Vaulting, etc. Since the parade goes past our house, it is always a popular place for friends to gather. We have several "long time" guest which we welcome each year. It will  be interesting to see what the "crowd size estimators" come up with but I believe this was the largest crowd I've ever seen here for the 4th. It's a far cry from my earliest memory of this celebration. I was no more than 5 years old when Grandma Turner and her family came to our house, parked facing the Fairgrounds and put the top down on their old Model T Ford so they could watch the fireworks setting in their car. 

No comments:

Post a Comment