Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Meeting an Old Friend

Elaine and I decided to go down to Pac n Sav this morning to pick up a few things that we keep for our breakfast and snacks. I heard someone say "Tony" and here was my old friend Ray Bieber. Ray and I go back a long way. In later checking my Diary, I found that he came to our house in Lincoln on New Year's Day, 1961 to check on some assigned UN-L Chemistry problems. Ray and I went through Freshman Chemistry during the '60-'61 school year. He and I stood out in the Class of over 100 because of our age and became good friends. He had been in the Service, lived down in the North Bottoms and was just starting to University. We lived in the Havelock area and I had been picking up credits on a part-time basis. We were very supportive of each other because it wasn't easy.
We got together numerous times during the course of that school year to provide each other help and encouragement. I became involved in an SCS Administrative Trainee program and transferred 70 Credit hours to GWU in Washington, D.C. where I went on to get a BBA & MBA. Ray went on to get his BS and MS from UN-L and a PhD from Colorado State where he spent his career teaching. He and his wife came back to Nebraska and bought an 80 acre farm SE of Garland. Marv Taylor and I went out to their place in the fall of 2013 and installed a light for the Kiwanis flag. We were both walking with a cane and I told him of having moved from our house of over 35 years to Brookdale. It was Great to be able to have a good visit this morning and Thanks to the "Checker" for taking the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment