Saturday, November 11, 2017

Football and Walking Plows

I would like to have reported on the Nebraska football game up in Minnesota this afternoon but what can you say when your team is on the short end of a 54-21 score. Their running back the opening kickoff was an indicator of things to come.  So, I will make reference to my October 26 blog page where I referred to the USDA Seal. J. Sterling Morton, USDA Secretary of Agriculture at the time, spoke of the importance of the walking plow as part of the Seal. I told in that blog, the story of our little model plow having a broken handle and  unsuccessful efforts to repair it. As it turned out, a good friend was able to put it back in beautiful condition. I have placed it on top of a bookcase in front of Morton's declaration. While the picture leaves something to be desired, so too does the plow as a symbol for modern day Agriculture. Like many symbols, statues, etc. we have evolved in our thinking and practices beyond what may have been very appropriate at one time, . They can still be very useful in showing how far we have come in our evolution.
When the game was over, Elaine and I went back to the exercise room where I again rode the NU STEP bike.
 Elaine spent some time working on a Jigsaw puzzle that was in the process of being put together. She wasn't able to add many of the remaining pieces since they all were the same color. I enjoyed my supper of potato soup, dried beef/Swiss cheese sandwich with Rocky Road ice cream. We are already looking toward changes in Nebraska Football. 

1 comment: