Tuesday, October 3, 2017

The Fisherman

I bought this wooden, hand carved Fisherman at the Estate Auction of John and Jane Jones back in 2011. Their son Dave told me of his folks having brought it home from a trip to Yugoslavia years before. What made it special, he said, was that the combination to the safe was written on a slip of paper behind the 16 inch wall hanging. I had know John very well, having worked with him on the soil conservation of several of their farms and considered it an honor to have a personal memento of his. The garage of our house is finished with wall paneling and this item hung near the doorway along with several old Seward pictures. It was one of those items that we questioned to KEEP or SELL. The issue was resolved this morning when I saw Dave in the Dental Clinic while waiting for my front tooth crown replacement. Dave indicated an interest in getting the "Fisherman" back so I told him it was his. He and Jeannie stopped by this afternoon and picked it up. Elaine and I agreed that we had more satisfaction in seeing it go back to the family than we would have received from any money had it been sold. Out of curiosity, I went to our book of Highlights and found that the Jones Estate Auction was on June 25, 2011. I then went to my 2011 Journal and found my description of the Auction and Dave's comments at that time. Having these resources available is a great help in writing these blog pages.
I have also kept copies of all the blog pages on Flash Drives so can fall back to any that I have done if necessary. I believe Google has a service available of printing them  for customers but haven't looked into it. From the index on each blog page, it's possible to pull up a page from any date that I published. It's also possible to "search" by entering a topic and Google will pull up any page with that subject included. Great Fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment