Saturday, March 30, 2013

Seward, Past and Present

I went down to the Schweitzer Auction at the Ag Pavilion this morning. This Grandfather Clock was the feature attraction and sold for some 4,000.00 dollars. The sale bill describes the clock as follows: "Late 1800's to Early 1900's Royal Furniture Co, Grand Rapids, 8' Tall,Moon Dial, Exquisite Face, Tubular Chimes, Brass Pendulum, Three Chime Settings: Notre Dame, Westminster, & Trinity." It is a fantastic piece of furniture. I didn't buy anything but enjoyed looking at many interesting items. It is also an opportunity to visit with many friends. Carolyn was down while I was there and it's always interesting to look at things with her. She was fortunate to be the "winner" on several items. One was a "50 Year Anniversary" publication of the "Blue Valley Blade". It is dated January 11, 1928. Elaine and I have both been through it this evening and find it most interesting. It has articles written by some of the earliest settlers in Seward  County and is most enjoyable reading. Many of the Ads in the paper were those of the first businesses that I remember in Seward when I was a kid. It made me realize that I have a "living history" of a pretty high percentage of Seward's existance. In fact, some of the people that we visited with at the auction have just purchased a downtown business location that  they will develop as an "Art Gallery" entertainment venue. They are interested in some of my old Seward pictures taken from the Courthouse Dome and suggested that they may also organize opportunities for "Old Timers" like me to present seminars on earlier days in Seward. They are thinking of being able to serve wine and make it an interesting gathering place. I hope it succeeds. 
Success wasn't to come to the #2 seeded Ohio State basketball team as they were knocked out by #9 seeded Wichita State this evening. The top seeds haven't done very well in the tournament. Duke will play the only remaining #1 seed Louisville tomorrow evening. The Nebraska Girls play Duke tomorrow afternoon. We will be rooting for the Duke men but against the Duke women. 

No comments:

Post a Comment