Friday, March 15, 2013

My Sister Vivian

It was 5 years ago today that my sister Vivian died during the night without any warning. I was reminded of this by Alyssa, her Great Granddaughter who paid a lovely tribute to her today on Facebook. Alyssa had spent the night with Vivian and went for help when she realized Vivian wasn't going to wake up. She is shown here with her husband Eddy as they celebrated the arrival of the year 2000. It was at the location of their  winter home in Victoria Palms at Donna, TX. They spent many enjoyable winters with friends at that location. I was only 18 months younger than Vivian and she "looked after me" as I started to school here in Seward and beyond. An example came to light only a couple years before she died. While in Garland HS, 3 of us fellows skipped school one afternoon and went to Seward to see the new cars that had just come out. We not only lost our athletic privileges for the balance of the season, but the Superintendent told us he was writing a letter to our parents. As we discussed this incident after our folks had passed on, someone asked, "What did your folks do when they got the letter??" I thought for a moment and said that I didn't remember of their ever getting the letter. Vivian spoke us and said, " I'll tell you why they never got the letter, I faked not feeling well, stayed home from school, picked up the mail and destroyed the letter". It took me over 50 years to learn of that incident and I suspect she did many other things for  me of which I never will know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment