Monday, March 11, 2013

Sam Walton in Bentonville

I am not a Sam Walton history buff but was told some years ago that this was his original store in downtown Bentonville, Arkansas. We had been to a Soil and Water Conservation Society meeting in Biloxi, MS and came through Bentonville, AK on our way home. As I remember the story, Sam Wanton worked with the J.C.Penney Company following attaining a BA degree from the U of Missouri. He served in the military during WWII.  He and his brother then had a small chain of Ben Franklin stores before opening his own "Walton's 5-10" as shown in the picture. We got into town back in 1999 just a few minutes after this store closed for the day. I took the picture and we went out to a Motel nearby with a large WalMart adjacent. I bought a Dunlop, No Problem, Titanium, Low center of gravity, 16 degree loft 3 "wood". It has been in my golf bag ever since. It is my main fairway club as well as teeing off with it on the par 3's. I don't remember what I paid for it but it doesn't owe me a thing and has provided some pretty good shots for an old man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment