Friday, August 10, 2012

The Drought of 2012

I got out the lawnmower this afternoon and mowed the lawn for the first time since before the 4th of July. I set the mower low, took off the catcher and just shredded the dry grass. I did run the sprinkler over it twice yesterday morning as the temperature cooled but question whether it can come back. This is the driest lawn we have ever had. Our current drought has been compared to 1956 and I have pictures of our lawn at that time and it never looked as bad as this. During the '30's we didn't even think about a lawn. In my early SCS days a farmer east of Seward tore down an old log cabin that had native grass sod about 3 inches thick in the walls for insulation. My boss was a good friend of this farmer and brought in a chunk of the sod. We watered it and put it outside our office at the corner of 7th & Seward St. It wasn't long before it showed some signs of life. I don't think it was a revival of the original grass but it did get green with some grasses. If that could happen after it being a chunk of sod for 75 years, maybe our lawn can come back with something green. 

No comments:

Post a Comment