Sunday, August 12, 2012

John & Sadie

Sadie Elizabeth Owens has been a major attraction  throughout this past week since she joined our family. While there have been many pictures of she and Julie posted, the new, proud Dad also deserves recognition. John has done a yeoman's job by changing diapers, wrapping the baby in "swaddling clothes", and the many little task associated with having the first new baby in the house. It has been over 60 years since Elaine & I shared that experience.  When our children were born, Fathers were not a part of the birthing process. My role ended with carrying the suitcase and helping Elaine inside the Hospital door,  where I was told to leave and wait for a phone call. Hours of nervous waiting were finally relieved with a message that I could see Elaine and the baby. Mothers spent 10 days in the Hospital after the baby was born and Fathers were expected to respect posted visiting hours.  In our case, bottle feeding was mandated and my role was holding the bottle for the 2:00am feeding. I suppose my first diaper changing came after about 2 or 3 weeks. If the baby cried, the Doctor suggested we let him cry and not spend much time holding him. Things did change a bit between our first and last but not much. Today's full partnership arrangement is so much more humane.  I certainly congratulate John for being a full partner. And, predict that he and Sadie are going to have a close relationship and be great buddies; they are already.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I am so glad times have changed so dads are definitely part of the team in taking care of the babies. After all it takes both to create them so is only right that it takes both of them to care for them! Great picture of John & Sadie!

    ReplyDelete