Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Softball Game

1992 was what we called "A Year of Transition". I had "retired" from my last 8-5:00 job at the International Soil and Water Conservation Society in Ankeny, IA at the end of '91. We traveled coast to coast on Amtrak, I went to Budapest, Hungary with USDA,  went through radical prostate surgery, joined the Seward Kiwanis Club & Kitones, took Carolyn & Julie on a trip to Yellowstone NP, participated in the SWCS annual meeting in Baltimore, MD, went to the Farm Progress Show (visited Tim's) in Columbus, IN, and went on a 14 day trip to China. In addition to all our travels, we had a family reunion at the time of Elaine's birthday. We had family pictures taken and a Labor Day picnic at the Hughes Cabin with our family and Elaine's brother Dale's family. We had many family softball games down along the Potomac as the kids were growing up. This may have been one of our last such games. I noted in my Journal, "I can't throw the ball more than about 70' but can still hit pretty good".  I also noted that "Ben got the twin boys (Ken & Linda's, Seth & Lucas) started whittling. And, that Carolyn threw a volley ball to Tony (Tim & Laura's son) and hit him on the nose. A typical family picnic.

No comments:

Post a Comment