Tuesday, January 31, 2012

49 Years ago Today

Tim sent me a note this morning saying he thought it was on January 31st back in the 1960's that we had seen the Boston Celtics play the Cincinnati Royals and asked me to check on the year. It was in  fact on this date in 1963 that we saw the game at Cole Field House on the University of Maryland Campus. (I noted in my diary that the boys and I had picked up Arnold Davis and had gone to the game). Bob Cousy was the one I particularly wanted to see since he was 34 years old and in the twilight of a brilliant career. The roster also included; John Havicek, Tom Heinsohn, K.C. Jones, Sam Jones, Frank Ramsey, Clyde Lovellette, Tom Sanders in addition to Bill Russell, etc. How the game has changed. Russell and Lovellette were the big men at 6'9" and Cousy was only 6'1". This was during the "Glory Years" of the Celtics when they won 11 NBA Championships in the 13 years between 1957 & extending through 1969. Bill Russell has 11 Championship rings and Sam Jones 10. Modern players don't even approach those numbers. I watched part of a Utube showing the Celtics-Lakers Championship game in '63 and marvel at how "civilized" it seemed. The picture here of Tim & Verlon was taken when we were back in Seward for our first Christmas after having moved to the D.C. area. I also noted in my diary that a couple days after having been to the game, we went over to Gunston to play  basketball. Verlon played the best I'd ever seen him and Tim dribbled behind his back.

No comments:

Post a Comment