Monday, January 20, 2020

Martin Luther King, jr Day

"I Have a Dream" is a public speech that was delivered by American civil rights activist Martin Luther King Jr. during the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom on August 28, 1963, in which he called for civil and economic rights and an end to racism in the United States." I stayed home from work on that day with over 200,000. having come in for the demonstration. The boys and I rode our bicycles in Fairlington over to where we could look down of the traffic coming into D.C. on #95.  It was bumper to bumper. I was still writing in a 5-year diary with only 4 short lines/day and didn't mention the speech. However, I have a distinct memory of listening to it and commenting to Elaine of it's appropratness. There is little doubt that it contributed to the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1969 which had a direct impact on my job. We in SCS had been a model for bringing minorities into our work force but this accelerated it. We worked with the Black 1890 Land Grant Colleges to bolster their Curriculum to qualify students for our Student Trainee Program and advancement in the service.

No comments:

Post a Comment