Thursday, April 18, 2019

Nice Spring Day

I rode along when Carolyn took Elaine down to Shear Reflections for her 1:00pm appointment today. We went on down to Walmart where I was able to use an electric cart to do our shopping. We didn't have a long list so made record time. With some time to kill, we went past where my folks lived on North 5th Street and took a picture of the Japanese Magnolia in full bloom in the front yard. We continued on up into the NE corner of town near the Junior High. There are several areas up there where new houses are being built. We must have driven past at least 15 Japanese Magnolias in full bloom. None were as large as the one I planted for the Folks over 30 years ago. After the Folks passed on, we sold the house to Ryan Seaman and his wife. During the several years they lived there, he had the Japanese Magnolia moved from near the house where I planted it, to an ideal location near the south-east corner of the house. 
 To my knowledge, at the time I planted the tree those 30 + years ago, it was the only Magnolia of this kind here in Seward. I became aquainted with this variety when we lived back in South Arlington, Va and drove past one every spring on our way to work. Merle's Nursery has stocked them for several years here in Seward, but with the number that we saw blooming today, I couldn't help but wonder of the number that may have been planted after having seen this original one in town. Credit also goes to Ryne Seaman for it's ideal location.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! What is the difference between a Tulip tree and a Magnolia? Here we have both and the Tulip trees bloom first and the Magnolia trees later. I believe the Tulip tree flowers are smaller than the Magnolia as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice: there are several Magnolia varities. I believe the Southern Maganolia's are sometime called "Tulip trees". Tony

      Delete