Friday, April 19, 2019

Car Ride

I got my HS Student Driver Permit at the time of my 15th birthday in June of 1940. I had learned to drive our Model A Ford earlier and the folks had traded for a '37 Chevrolet by the time I got my permit. During the past 70+ years, I have no idea of when I may have gone for any significant time with-out driving a vehicle. We have owned something between 15 and 20 vehicles of our own during these years, plus the privledge of having driven USDA Pickup trucks and Sedans, as well as State of Nebraska cars. This afternoon Elaine and I got the idea of driving down to the Post Office to buy stamps. We both used our "walkers" to get out to the garage where we got in the car, fastened our seat belts, and were on our way. Elaine was able to use the handrails for support at the PO, and we went on a little "car ride" past the Hughes House and the Northeast part of town. In checking, I found that the last time I had driven was on February 12th when I went to an appointment with Dr. Summa. There is something liberating about knowing that you have transportation available to you with the ability to drive it if necessary. Or, even just to show that you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment